Monday, July 28, 2008

Che Would Have Been 80 Six Weeks Ago

Che Guevara, the Argentine Marxist revolutionary, politician, author, physician, military theorist, and guerrilla leader, would have been 80 years old on June 14, 2008. He was 39 when he was executed in 1967.

I wonder if things would be different if he was still alive.

Sometimes I can't help but wonder what drove him and all the other people who achieved great things so early in life. And what is it about this age bracket that great people die in their 30's? Jesus Christ, Jose P. Rizal, Che Guevara, etc. Even the infamous ones like Eva Peron.

And what happened to us? How come we can't make legends anymore? Our grandparents had James Dean, Marilyn Monroe, Manuel L. Quezon, JFK, etc. W
ho do we have? George W. Bush? When his term ends, and as soon as he dies, I don't think we would ever want to remember him. Even GMA (it's past midnight yet I still haven't checked the papers and the news on TV, afraid of what kind of SONA she gave this afternoon).

Somehow it makes me want to wish I born in a different era. I would've wanted to watch legends in action, I would've wanted to see how they were like when they were children, or at which point in their lives they decided to pursue their passion. I would've wanted to meet them and talked to them.

It would've been great to be born at a time when people who lived and died were remembered.

Unlike now, we have become so advanced we can't create myths anymore.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment