Tuesday, August 05, 2008

On Smallville, Tiara and Brain Tumor


Okay, before I say anything let me first make it clear that I like Smallville. I discovered it [or maybe, it discovered me... Somebody saaaaave meh!...] a few weeks ago. I thought of writing down thoughts on each ep I finished, but I realized right away that I couldn't keep it.

But there's always an exception. For Smallville, it's Season 4, Episode 18.

The homoerotic [not-so-] undertone between Lex and Clark was pretty obvious from the pilot. I mean, Clark doesn't get to kiss Lana [the love of his live] until much much later in the series. Actually, I'm not sure if he gets to kiss her in the 1st season. As it turns out, the very first person he liplocks with in the series is an LL, but it's neither Lana Lang nor Lois Lane. It's Lex Luthor.

And just when I thought Smallville couldn't get any gay-er, Clark Kent suddenly snatches Chloe Sullivan's prom queen tiara, and says "This is my crown, bitch!"


Whew! What is that?

Oh, well, I got to give it to whoever is responsible for this particular ep. It's one of the best eps of Smallville. It's absolutely funny. It's as if it's not taking itself too seriously.

And since I'm at it already, why shut up now?

One of my favorite characters in this series, surprisingly, is Martha Kent [Annette O'Toole] who played Lana Lang in Superman III. Her Freaky Friday moment is the highlight of this ep. And she's not only good, she's a babe. A lot prettier than her younger co-stars.


My next fave is Chloe Sullivan. Fine, she's not as conventionally sexy as Lana, but she's pretty, too, and smart and she's been in love with Clark for as long as god-knows-when. And she's funny and can take care of herself. And she's not as hung up.


And the last in the list would be Lois Lane. Not really because I know she'd end up with Clark in the end. But because I like the way the two of them banter all the time. And so far she seems unaffected by Clark's kryptonian charms.

As for Lana, I don't know. After the 1st two seasons, I find it hard to root for her anymore. Daming hangup sa buhay! And when she suspects one person lies to her--or forgets to tell her--about something, she automatically goes amok. All of a sudden, it's irrelevant whether the same people almost die to save her ass. And what's this thing about Clark telling her his secrets? Why? Does she really think Clark is keeping things from her? If she thinks so, then, she must have an idea what it is. Most of the time, when people want you to tell them your secret, it's only to confirm what they already know.

And so what if Clark has secrets? Is she expecting him to tell her everything every time? Pretty freaky for a girlfriend, I must say.


And earlier in the ep she tells Clark she's not going to the prom. Then, toward the last 30 secs, she shows up. All dolled up. Hmm, well, maybe she's just the type of girl who has a dress ready for special occasions such as this. And maybe her hair is usually like this whenever she steps out of the shower.


Last couple of things: Lionel and Lex Luthor fight all the time. Can get a little tiring sometimes. Seriously, they have to get a room and get it over with. I know it's... ewww. But, hey, a lot of people got hurt already.

And finally, every time Clark has to save Lana or Lex, they have to be unconscious. I'm seriously afraid for their health. Buti 'di pa naaalog 'yung mga utak nila. I won't be surprised if the series finale is with all of them dead dahil sa brain tumor.

In the end, I must say I really love this series.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment