Thursday, December 02, 2010

A Few Parting Words for Mikki

Thanks for the standards, blues, jazz; thanks for Fitzgerald, Legrand, Streisand; thanks for the good food, the fun company, the fine wine; thanks for the time, the effort, the patience; thanks for a million other things.

I don't know if you were aware how grateful I am that our paths crossed, if only for a short while.

I wish we actually made contact like we promised to after we had bumped into each other on September 15. I wish we stopped and talked a bit longer then. I wish I gave you a surprise visit every time I passed by the village where you lived, instead of just thinking about it.

I wish that even for a split second, I was able to make you feel special.

We hardly saw each other the last several years. But it was all right. We were just a phone call away from each other. Now, it's different. What pains me is the thought I will never see you again.

You laughed out loud, you sang great songs, you touched people's lives. May you have a safe journey home. It will take a while before we see each other again. But when the time comes, I hope you will recognize me. Because I'd surely want us to be friends still.

Goodbye is most difficult when you know you're saying it for the last time.

Goodbye, Mikki. I miss you already.

No comments:

Post a Comment