Sunday, March 23, 2008

I Love U, Torrent

I love Torrent. It makes rare films and music readily available.

I don't feel guilty downloading them because I only download those that:
1. I already own in other formats. Like, if I have the tape already, I feel it's okay to download the mp3.
2. are hard to find. I've been looking for Neil Jordan's The Butcher Boy since it was released in 1997, but I can't find it. So I had to resort to downloading it.
3. I had the cd / dvd of, but lost it.

So with those in mind, I downloaded:
1. Pretty in Pink - I was too young when it was released. And none of my older sisters wanted to being me along.
2. Sixteen Candles - Another John Hughes - Molly Ringwald teamup. A landmark in the teenybopper genre.
3. The Black Album - fan-compiled collection of Sinead O'Connor's little-known recordings.
4. Just Because I'm a Woman - tribute album for Dolly Parton. Select Dolly Parton originals sung by younger artists including Norah Jones, Alison Krauss and Sinead O'Connor.
5. Sunset Boulevard - the BW original. Who can ever forget, "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my closeup"?
6. Carne Tremula - damn! It must be karma. I downloaded the version with no English subtitle. Bueno, comprendo Espanol.
7. Flight of the Navigator - I watched it over and over on TV when I was small. Now I can't wait to watch it again for the first time in, well, almost twenty years. I hope the magic is still there.
8. The Butcher Boy - directed by Neil Jordan, with Stephen Rea as the lead. Here, Sinead O'Connor plays the foul-mouthed Virgin Mary. I think it was banned when word got around that it was violent, and it attacked the Catholic Church.

And I'm presently downloading:
1. Summer Lovers - with Daryl Hannah. I don't know why I feel the need to watch it. I was very young when I saw the trailer on TV. I don't remember much of it anymore, but twenty or so years later, it still haunts me. Weird.
2. Fast Times at Ridgemont High - It stars Sean Penn, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Phoebe Cates. This is the film where Phoebe Cates took her top off--nerd boys's ultimate fantasy.
3. Clan of the Cave Bear - a movie based on a Jean M. Auel novel. The film stars Daryl Hannah. I saw it in one of those rundown movie houses in Quiapo. And I thought it was good. I want to see it again.

I wish Mga Mata ni Angelita and Rocco - Ang Batang Bato were also available for download.

No comments:

Post a Comment